A Fire Ritual for Releasing
A year ago
Earth-based religions have long used the power of a fire ritual to create a mighty energetic shift and clear space for a new season - whether that be internally clearing old patterns, or externally marking moments in the Wheel of the Year, known as the “fire festivals” (or cross-quarter days) of Imbolc, Beltane, Lammas and Samhain.
You don’t have to wait for a cross-quarter day though to work with a fire ritual. If you’re in need of an energetic cleansing, a clearing out of the old and welcoming in the new, here are a few simple ways you can hold your own releasing ceremony at any time of year:
1. Gather your supplies
Things you might want to have on hand for your ritual:
- A fire-proof bowl, indoor fireplace or outdoor fire pit to center your ritual around.
- A lighter (Upgrade your ritual tools with this Ritual Lighter Case from Seed of Creation which is available in our Goddess Provisions Boutique!)
- Paper & pen, or physical items that are representative of what you are choosing to release (photos, old journals etc. Please be conscientious of what you choose to burn, taking care that it will not cause a negative reaction when placed in the fire. For example, metal items or anything that might combust!)
- Any other items that would help you to create a sacred space (candles, gem stones, music)
2. Set the space
This can be as simple as placing your ritual objects with care in front of you and just getting quiet for a moment to mark the beginning of the ceremony, or it could be an elaborate process of decorating the space with candles, photos, music.
Below are some ideas for helping to set your space. Pick and choose those that resonate with you, or come up with your own to help you to fully sink into the magic of the moment!
- Play some inspiring, empowering music.
- Light candles around the area where the actual fire will be lit.
- Place photos around your ritual space of deities who represent fire, letting go, and releasing blockages. Kali, Freyja, Pele, Brigid are all incredibly powerful goddess associated with the element of fire.
- Gather red, orange and yellow gem stones around your ritual space to help support the energy of fire.
3. Offer it up to the fire
While for some it can be incredibly freeing to burn old journals of your past self, or photos of a relationship that needs to finally be released, sometimes that may not feel like the right version of a fire ritual for you. Instead you might like to write down what you are letting go of on a simple piece of paper to throw into the fire.
If you have the proper set-up and know-how to create a contained fire, get those flames going! Otherwise, bring your fire-proof bowl into your ritual space and one-by-one, light the piece(s) of paper that you have written on with your lighter and then drop the paper into the bowl to let the flames work their magic.
4. Connect to the flames and feel the release
Once your offerings (in the form of the physical items, or the pieces of paper) have caught fire, take time to sit quietly watching the flames as they do the work of destroying those things that were holding you back from the next form of your evolution. As you watch it all turn to ash, tap into the felt sense of what it will be like to no longer have those barriers preventing you from your growth.
5. Close your ritual
When the fire has burned out, or you feel your ritual is complete, close your ritual with offering up a moment of gratitude for the things that you have released. They were part of your journey and helped you get to where you are now, and though they are no longer necessary, they served a purpose. Before leaving your ritual space, make sure that the fire is completely out.
Any time you feel the tug of your old habits, relationships or the beliefs you released in your fire ritual, visualize the flames consuming them once again and continue to embody the feeling of freedom from removing those old blockages.