The History of Smoke Cleansing with Abalone Shells
2 weeks ago
Abalone shells are often used as tools to perform smoke cleansing rituals. Their very practical use is as a bowl to catch hot cinders and hold what remains of the herb bundle after it’s burnt.
Abalone shells are also a gift from the sea and, symbolically represent the water element while the unlit herbs represent earth, the lit herbs represent fire, and the smoke represents air. In this way, the act of smoke cleansing invites Mama Gaia into the center of the ceremony to hold space for any transformations that will occur.
Smoke is known as an ally that attaches itself to negative energy and carries it to another place. It’s also able to carry prayers out into the Universe.
Here are a few tips for performing your own smoke cleansing ritual:
8 Tips When Smoke Cleansing with an Abalone Shell:
1. To protect its beautiful rainbow shimmer from hot embers, add a layer of sand inside the shell.
2. In honor of the natural world, use a match made of wood from the earth to light the herbs instead of a man-made lighter.
3. For various benefits, try working with a variety of herbs like sustainably grown white sage (release and clear energy), mugwort (stimulate dreams), lavender (calming), rosemary (mental clarity), cedar (protection), and flowers (meditation).
4. For a longer smoke cleansing session, use the abalone shell as a bowl and a hot charcoal tablet to light the herbs.
5. To enhance the energetics of your herbal blend, try adding resins like copal (connection to spirit realm), amber (protection), and frankincense (purification) into your shell.
6. To bless a person, space, or object with the cleansing energy, use the underside of a bird’s feather to brush the smoke around them.
7. Be mindful when handling hot embers and sand because abalone shells naturally have holes in them.
8. Use caution when handling the shell because heat can transfer to the shell.
If you're interested in good energy and inner healing, subscribe to our monthly Goddess Provisions Box for goodies to help you on your journey.