Expressing Your Inner Creative Goddess
Greetings, Goddesses! We have our friend Sydonie from Quirky Cup Collective here to guide and inspire you to connect with your inner creativity!
Ahh creativity, what would the world be like without you? It’s simply impossible to imagine a world without it. Creativity is the foundation for everything! Seriously, think about it. Creativity doesn’t have to be a painting, picture, or poem; it is a way of thinking. From the cup you drink your tea out of, to the calculator you use for uni or your job, everything you see and interact with has been created by a brilliant and beautiful creative mind.
A year ago
I’m sure a lot of people believe that they aren’t creative, and that is simply not true. Even while you’re reading this you might be thinking the exact same thing about yourself! Well I am here to tell you, my darling, that I believe that everyone possesses creativity. You just need to connect to yourself, discover your outlet, and free your mind so you can access that creative flow.
As an artist, I’ll gladly admit that it’s not always the easiest to tap into your creative energy. Sometimes there’s an endless flow of ideas and sometimes… it’s an absolute void of nothingness. But that’s okay! It’s all normal and part of the process; and of course I am here to help you tap into your creative energy.
So without further ado, here is a quick and easy guide to how to get into your unique creative flow.
Connect With Yourself
You could spend some time with the people who inspire you and bring you joy, or you could just go and run yourself a lovely bath and read a book. Connecting with yourself is something that is unique to you, so do whatever inspires you and makes you feel good. A healthy headspace is creativity's best friend, but it is also essential for living. So take care of yourself, girl.
And what do I do to connect with myself, you might ask? I personally love gardening and spending time in nature. There is something about connecting with the earth and with nature that really calms me and neutralizes the constant buzz of my brain. That, and I love cooking! I find cooking to be weirdly meditative as my brain solely focuses on the task at hand. Plus cooking results in food and I LOVE food!
Connect With What Inspires You
So this is where creativity can be a little overwhelming, especially if you don’t feel like you have connected to a particular hobby or craft before. You might have absolutely no clue where to start, but that is perfectly normal. We all have to start somewhere after all! I think where you have to start is to really think about what interests you. It can be super simple, or it could be something a little more complex. You might like books and reading, or maybe you love sea animals or flowers. You can draw creative inspiration from literally any of your interests, you just need to associate the creative outlet that goes along with them.
Maybe you want to make a bandana for your furry friend, or maybe you want to learn how to bind and make books! It’s a humongous, creative world and the possibilities are endless. Another super important thing to keep in mind is that it’s all about the experimentation, girl! Sometimes the first outlet you choose might not be your fave, but don’t let that discourage you!
It’s perfectly normal to float between projects and crafts, and by doing this you will definitely learn about what you enjoy and what you don’t. And while we’re on the topic of experimentation, you also don’t have to commit to just one outlet; you can pursue as many as you like! Just have fun. And because I am ultimately here to help you, I’ve created a handy little list of some easy creative activities and some more complex ones that you might need to develop over time.
Small Creative Activities
- Pom Pom Making
- Flower Pressing
- Face Painting (omg how fun!)
- Photography (super easy with phones these days!)
- Playing with Plaster ( I know this is usually for kids, but would be so fun as an adult!)
- Research your local area for any fun creative workshops
- Bake & decorate a cake
Crafts & Hobbies
- Creative Writing/Poetry
- Drawing & Painting
- Household DIY
- Paper Arts
- Photography (if you want to go in depth with cameras etc)
- Makeup Artistry
- Playing an Instrument
- Flower Arranging
- Stuck on what to do? Start a mind map of your interests and go from there!
- Create because you love the act of it and it makes you feel good.
- Experiment with different mediums and don’t be scared to try something new.
- Get creative with your friends and family. Have them join in!
- Find a like-minded community. Social media is a great place to find creatively similar people!
- Be patient with your progress. It’s easy to feel discouraged when you don’t feel like you're progressing fast enough. Practice and persist and I promise you will see results.
- Try to not compare yourself to others. It’s really, really hard not to do this, but enjoy your personal journey and your progress.
- Don’t feel any pressure to monetize your creative outlet. Although this can be great for some people, you may want to just enjoy things for yourself without the added pressure of making money.
- Document your creative journey. Whether you do this publicly or privately is completely up to you :).
- Don’t give up! Keep going, Goddess!
If there’s anything I want to get across in this blog post, it’s that creativity is truly limitless and you possess everything inside of you to connect to your innermost creative Goddess. Don’t place too many expectations on yourself when it comes to creativity, and most importantly, I just want you to have FUN!
You got this, bestie. I believe in you.
Sydonie is the Artist and boss lady behind ‘The Quirky Cup Collective’
P.S. Here’s a coloring-in sheet she drew just for you :). Feel free to download and print it out. Or save it to your phone/tablet and color it in digitally. Enjoy!
To receive goodies to help you connect and honor your inner Creative Goddess, subscribe to our monthly Goddess Provisions Box.
Connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter and share your favorite way to create!